Understanding Urogynecologists - Why They're Different from OB-Gynecologists 

Doctors known as urogynecologists, or urogyns, get special training for diagnosing and treating women who have pelvic floor disorders. While your primary care physician, OB/GYN, or urologist may be knowledgeable about such conditions, a urogyn provides more expertise. See your doctor and ask for a urogyn referral if you have prolapse issues or are dealing with urinary or fecal incontinence. In addition, if you find it hard to empty your bladder or bowel, or if you're experiencing any kind of pain around the pelvic or bladder area, a urogyn can certainly help.

Defining a Urogynecologist

Urogynecologists finish medical school as well as an Obstetrics and Gynecology or Urology residency program. These physicians are specialists who received additional training and experience in evaluating and treating problems of the female pelvic organs, as well as all supporting muscles and connective tissue. Urogynecologists generally go through formal fellowships (more training after residency) that deals with non-cancerous gynecologic issues, either through surgery or non-surgical treatment. Urinary incontinence, prolapse of a pelvic organ (for example, vagina or uterus), and bladder overactivity are typical problems a urogynecologist treats. You'll want to research further on laparoscopic pelvic surgery

Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery

In 2011, the American Board of Medical Specialties approved as a certified subspecialty Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery; and within two years, the ABMS certified the country's first batch of urogyns. As one of the requirements of keeping their status as certified urogyns, these physicians engage in continuing education to keep their knowledge up to date. 

Board Certified Urogynecologist or Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgeon

A doctor who is board-certified in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery is someone who has passed examinations conducted by at least two medical boards, namely, the American Board of Obstetrics & Gynecology (ABOG) and the American Board of Urology (ABU). Or it could mean passing exams administered by the American Osteopathic Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology (AOBOG) and the American Osteopathic Association (AOA). In any case, board certification is your only assurance that the doctor is a tested expert in urogynecology. You'll want to consult with Dr. Lotze for more useful info. 

It was in 2013 when the first ABOG/ABU board certification exams were administered. Doctors who finished their training after 2012 usually participated in an accredited fellowship as a requirement board exam eligibility. As mentioned, the first urogynecology board exams were conducted by the AOA/AOBOG in 2012.

As always, never hesitate to ask about a urogynecologist's training and expertise before deciding to enter their care. While there are many equally credentialed urogynecologists today, there will always be nuances among them that you should be familiar with as a potential patient. Come up with a shortlist of prospects and dig up some information online about each of them. This can be helpful in finding a urogynecologist who is not just a technical expert but someone who is actually treat you as an individual rather than just a case. Here are some causes of poor urine flow: https://www.reference.com/article/can-cause-weak-flow-urine-ca003c2f3cf80a27?aq=urogynecology&qo=cdpArticles

This site was designed with the
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now